Electricians are responsible for the inspection and maintenance of all types of electrical equipment on machinery, in beneficiation plants and buildings, including offices, hostels, houses, etc.
They are also responsible for the distribution of electricity, which includes the laying of cable networks and connection of transformers.
The following modules are done during training:
Units and prefixes
Ohm- and Kirchoff's laws
Use of electrical measuring instruments
Testing of cables
Determining of the layout of resistance circuits
Lights and lighting circuits
Construct and wire installations
Testing of single-phase installations
- Single-phase motors:
Single-phase motor theory
Testing of single-phase motors
Connecting a single-phase motor
Forward-reverse controlled through a rotary switch and contactors
- Three-phase motors:
Three-phase motor theory
Testing of three-phase motors
Phasing of induction motors
Overhaul a three-phase motor
Star and Delta connections
Connecting transformers for various applications
Reading of electric circuits
Determining of the operation of a circuit from a circuit diagram
Use of retaining circuits
Use of electrical- and mechanical interlocking circuits
- Hand Tools:
Reading of engineering drawings
Use of measuring instruments and marking off of materials
Using a drilling machine, grinder, welding machine and oxy-acetylene equipment
- Semi-automatic motor starters
- Fully-automatic motor starters
- Resistance starters connected to slip-ring motors
- Liquid starters connected to slip-ring motors
- Pole changing (two speed) motors
- Direct current machines
- Ward-Leonard speed control
- Energy meters
- Load balancing
- Testing of three-phase installations
- Soldering of components
- Identification of resistors, diodes and inductors and the use there-of
- Using an oscilloscope
- Construct rectification circuits
- Identify and use Zener diodes
- Construct a voltage doubler
- Identify transistor action and transistor configurations
- Test regulated power supplies
- Test thermistors and thermistor phase control
- Explain and apply PLC operating principles
During Final Training, learners receive intensive training to prepare them for the Trade Test. Training during this period includes all modules trained in during the Basic, Advanced and Electronic training phases.
Additional electronic modules can also be completed during this period should his/her company request/require this:
- Test an amplifier.
- Using a transistor as a switch.
- Test multi-vibrators.
- Identify operational amplifiers.
- Construct a continuity tester.
- Test a field effect transistor.
- Test logic gates.
- Fault-find circuits.
- Test electronic systems.
For more information and specific modules, please feel free to contact CTC's engineering (administration) Department.
Any part of the course can also be done as per client specification.